Saturday, July 21, 2018

Caraval - Stephanie Garber

Caraval - Stephanie Garber


My Rating:




  • Print Length: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Flatiron Books (January 31, 2017)
  • Publication Date: January 31, 2017
  • Sold by: Macmillan
  • Language: English
Buy Here: Amazon

Synopsis:

The acclaimed New York Times bestseller! Welcome, welcome to CaravalStephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of the unbreakable bond between two sisters. It’s the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world...

Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.
But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.
Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.
Welcome, welcome to Caraval . . . beware of getting swept too far away.

My Review:
   This book.... oh my lordy!



    This book got me out of one of my biggest book slumps ever! I mean I have read very few books this year but dang. This book makes me want to read more. It was so fast paced and so intriguing that I didn't want it to end. 

    Scarlett did however, bug the crap out of me. The whole time I felt like she was so focused on getting married to get away from her father that she didn't even see the fact that Caraval was literally her ticket to get away from her father. It was all she could focus on. I felt that she could have been too dang dramatic. My face every time she talked about getting her sister and leaving to get married was just of so much annoyance.


   
   I'm just so glad that her character does a lot of growing during this book. It was like a lightbulb went off in her head. 

    The magic in this book was so creatively done. I love how the author made it something that makes you a different person depending on how you use the magic. It reflects you. So if you're going to be a devious person in the game with the magic, once it's over you're still going to be a horrible person. BUT! The great thing is, is that you can change yourself, which Legend himself does.

   Tella is my favorite character of this book. I instantly fell in love with this character. She is so much smarter than her sister gives her credit. I do love that Scarlett protects Tella so much but it was awesome to know Tella was doing the same for Scarlett. She wanted Scarlett to experience life outside of her fathers island with an adventure, not to a marriage with a man she only knew from letters.

  I love Julian. I knew he was going to be the love interest from the beginning but it was interesting to see how she played it off, as he started with Tella... or so we think. Julian also does a lot of growing in the novel even though we don't get a whole lot of his back story. He is definitely a new book boyfriend of mine. The plot twists involving Julian I somewhat kind of felt would happen but wasn't sure exactly what it would have been. It was a crazy plot twist for me.



With so many amazing twists this book gave me, I cannot wait to start Legendary. It was such a spell-binding, page turner that kept me up late hours of the night just so I could see what happened next. I didn't want it to end. You seriously need to read this book/series if you have not yet. So picking up the next book on payday!



No comments:

Post a Comment