Sunday, July 29, 2018

Booktube-a-thon 2018!


What is Booktube-a-thon?

Glad you asked! Booktube-a-thon is a week long readathon that is hosted by Ariel Bissett. This is the fifth year for this event and it is the first year for the event that I will be participating in it. I am super pumped to start this read-a-thon. Check out Ariel's video below to see what it is all about!


Here are the challenges!:

1. Let a coin toss decide your first read. 2. Read a book about something you want to do. 3. Read and watch a book to movie adaptation. 4. Read a book with green on the cover. 5. Read a book while wearing the same hat the whole time. 6. Read a book with a beautiful spine. 7. Read seven books.


I will upload a post on the blog as much as I can. I will also be on twitter and instagram posting and uploading photos and doing the daily challenges. I am super excited to get reading. I'm not sure if I will be able to read all 7 books but, there won't be anybody to stop me from trying! Lets see what books I have to tackle, shall we?

1. Let a coin toss decide your first read.

So for the first book I decided to just pick two books and do a coin flip. The other book (or the losing book) won't be a part of the list I end up reading.

It is between:

The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne or The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.
Both books are about 200 pages and will be a fairly short read which is great for a readathon.

The coin toss decided:




2. Read a book about something you want to do.

This one was a bit difficult to choose for me. There is so much that I want to do. One thing though that stuck out for this book is the fact that she is a hacker. I love computers and I'd love to be able to learn how to code and hack and do all that stuff (like Charlie from Supernatural). So I came across Warcross by Marie Lu.
Synopsis:

For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down Warcross players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty-hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. To make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.

Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.

3. Read and watch a book to movie adaptation.

The book I chose for this one is a book that has a lot of hype. The movie just came out on blu-ray/dvd. I also decided that I would listen to this book on Scribd during work. Which will make it a lot easier to get done. The book is 6 hours long and I work about 9 hours a day. I'll be able to finish it easily. This book is Simon and the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. Which is also known as Love, Simon.

Synopsis:
Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he's pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he's never met.
Incredibly funny and poignant, this twenty-first-century coming-of-age, coming out story—wrapped in a geek romance—is a knockout of a debut novel by Becky Albertalli.

4. Read a book with green on the cover.
I didn't have many books to choose from that had green on it, surprisingly. And I wasn't going to read Heir of Fire AGAIN. Well, yet, anyways. I luckily had one book with tons of green on it that I have not yet read. I have heard great things about this book as well, despite it being on "James Patterson's presents:" books. (I am not a fan of him) The book though sounds really cool because it has a dark, gruesome, premise. That book is Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco.
Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.



5. Read a book while wearing the same hat the whole time.
I have two hats I can use for this one. I have a Louise (from Bob's Burgers) rabbit ear hat, or my baseball cap. I also have a cowboy hat buuuut I decided not to use that one. Depending on how hot it is, I'll be able to choose which one I wear. Since that challenge doesn't really have anything to do with the book itself, I was free to choose any book. I really needed to get to the second book in the "An Ember in the Ashes" Trilogy by Sabaa Tahir. I thought it was a perfect way to read this book by putting it in this readathon.

Synopsis:
After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.
Laia is determined to break into Kauf—the Empire’s most secure and dangerous prison—to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.
But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene—Elias’s former friend and the Empire’s newest Blood Shrike.
Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own—one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape...and kill them both
.

6. Read a book with a beautiful spine. 
I had a good number of books with a beautiful spine. They were mostly hardcovers and I just felt like reading paperbacks instead. I also decided to go with a book that doesn't have the greatest reviews on Goodreads. It only has a 3.12 rating. That is not the greatest. I do know that every reader is different and I really wanted to give this a chance without really knowing why people hate on it. Sarah J. Maas blurbs it so I figured it can't be that bad. I chose Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings. It really has a gorgeous spine. I love the color purple and I love the Galaxy look on it.

Synopsis:
Most know Androma Racella as the Bloody Baroness, a powerful mercenary whose reign of terror stretches across the Mirabel Galaxy. To those aboard her glass starship, Marauder, however, she's just Andi, their friend and fearless leader.
But when a routine mission goes awry, the Marauder's all-girl crew is tested as they find themselves in a treacherous situation and at the mercy of a sadistic bounty hunter from Andi's past.
Meanwhile, across the galaxy, a ruthless ruler waits in the shadows of the planet Xen Ptera, biding her time to exact revenge for the destruction of her people. The pieces of her deadly plan are about to fall into place, unleashing a plot that will tear Mirabel in two.
Andi and her crew embark on a dangerous, soul-testing journey that could restore order to their shipor just as easily start a war that will devour worlds. As the Marauder hurtles toward the unknown, and Mirabel hangs in the balance, the only certainty is that in a galaxy run on lies and illusion, no one can be trusted.

7. Read seven books.
For my last book... This one was difficult. It took me all weekend to decide what book I wanted to read or re-read. At first I thought I would continue V. E. Schwabs "A Darker Shade of Magic" Trilogy with the second book. I'm not quite finished with the first book though. Or I could read a really tiny book but, I didn't have that many to choose from. Then I took a look at Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I read this YEARS AGO. And I never finished the series. So, I am going to re-read it and finish the darn series.

Synopsis:
Soldier. Summoner. Saint. Orphaned and expendable, Alina Starkov is a soldier who knows she may not survive her first trek across the Shadow Fold―a swath of unnatural darkness crawling with monsters. But when her regiment is attacked, Alina unleashes dormant magic not even she knew she possessed.Now Alina will enter a lavish world of royalty and intrigue as she trains with the Grisha, her country’s magical military elite―and falls under the spell of their notorious leader, the Darkling. He believes Alina can summon a force capable of destroying the Shadow Fold and reuniting their war-ravaged country, but only if she can master her untamed gift.As the threat to the kingdom mounts and Alina unlocks the secrets of her past, she will make a dangerous discovery that could threaten all she loves and the very future of a nation.
Welcome to Ravka . . . a world of science and superstition where nothing is what it seems.

That's my list! Hoping to get through all books. I will be reading and reviewing them on this blog, so be sure to check it out through out the week. Also follow me on twitter and instagram (links on the side) and stay up to date with the progress of my reads.


No comments:

Post a Comment